Search This Blog

Sunday 31 March 2019

Some "upgrades" weren't published, they escaped. A week of woe.


I have just come through a programming problem so frustrating, so annoying, so intractable that not only has is it taken me well over a week of shouting at the screen and hair-pulling, but also the only way to recover is the catharsis of sharing my nightmare…and a very stiff drink.

There are many lessons to be learned herein: it’s going to long, it will be very detailed and all-too-recently painful, but I think it will be worth it if you can hang on in there.

Executive summary: code and library versions can be important (and sometimes harmful!) …and “latest” is not always “best”

That nightmare started shortly after I released version 3.1 of Esparto… a couple of folk noticed problems. One in particular was using the much-more up-to-date 2.5.0 core of Arduino ESP8266 whereas all my testing, development and release had been with 2.4.2…

I felt churlish telling him it wasn’t supported, sorry -  since I am the one behind the times and really should be up-to-date myself, I always advise others to do so! I therefore set up my “upstairs” machine with Arduino IDE 1.8.8 and ESP8266 core 2.5.0. to try to a) verify the problem and b) work out a fix. 

That's when the “fun” began. Sure enough, the problem he described was happening exactly the same to me “upstairs” while all was fine downstairs…before I continue, a touch of background is necessary:

Esparto relies fundamentally on the ESPAsyncWebServer library which in turn relies upon the same author’s ESPAsyncTCP library. For good measure (well, Amazon Echo uPNP discovery, actually) is also uses ESPAsyncUDP. Note the common thread: “async”. Any / all / every piece of serious code on the ESP8266 needs to be async...or it’s just a toy, but that’s a whole other book. Back to my upstairs machine: unloved and unused for many a moon, it lacked those essential libraries, so I installed them, automatically getting the latest version – of course. The stage is now set for Act I of the tragedy.

More background: Esparto has the fancy “real-time” GPIO lights on its web UI, comme ca:



These were controlled using websockets (as was the whole of the web user interface [web UI]) and after much similar recent wrestling, had led me to insert a ton of code to limit or “throttle” the amount / rate of websocket messages going to the web UI. For example when a very “busy” GPIO might be changing state hundreds of times a second, neither the ESP8266, nor any browser, nor indeed your eyes can keep up with that so it makes sense to limit it, as failing to do so has fairly rapid and disastrous consequences, namely the ESP8266 runs out of free heap and crashes.

Lesson 1 is that if there is one key technique behind successful ESP8266 programming, it is heap management. And being async! Two. Two main techniques. But heap management it absolutely vital since the ESP8266 has so little and some libraries are very cavalier about how they use it. At core 2.3.0 I couldn’t compile the whole of Esparto since the core libraries didn’t leave enough free heap! In the early days, I also experienced “random” crashes which took me a long time to put down to sudden massive heap exhaustion (6k / 8k / 10k within seconds etc) within the ESPAsyncWebServer library, with a) no warning and b) no way to check ahead of time when the “danger zone” was imminent…

 A quick bit of “long story short” here which has ironic repercussions to follow later. About 9 months ago, I “had words” with the developer, even going as far as to provide a graph showing the exact problem once I’d spent literally weeks tracking it down…in essence there was no internal check before queuing a websocket write – neither that there was sufficient heap nor whether a large queue was building because they were coming in faster than they could be despatched…hence when either / both those things occurred* the internal queue grew out of control and used all the heap, crashing the system.

* = over 19x per second. Yep, a massive 19. Any more and the free heap drops like a rock, irrecoverably. So three pins doing 6 transitions each (e.g. flashing on/off 3x per sec) is fine. Add a fourth, and make it change more than 1x per second and you are in a terminal one-way nose dive.
The complete lack of any way to detect / prevent this led to my fairly strong words with the developer.  I ended up doing a whole ton of work to calculate this magic number, then another whole ton of work to “throttle” the GPIO and/or any other control signals to /from the webUI. Anyway, that all worked. So I carried on and released it.

Back upstairs, I am wondering how the hell only ever 8 items get added to the “run” tab dropdown box. Wiresharking the conversation, I can see I’m actually only sending 8 even though the code calls the sending function 22 times. Coincidentally I’m only sending 8 GPIO updates too even though dozens are physically occurring. Very suspicious. Another “long story short” because it actually only took me an hour or so to find the problem and my jaw dropped open in horror when I did.

The websocket lib (with which I was far too familiar due to the problems above) has changed quite a lot. At the point of socket write it effectively says

 if messageQueue.length() < MAX_QUEUE_LENGTH, add message to queue. 

That’s it. No error code if it doesn’t get queued. No fall-back and requeue. No warning message, not even at debug level! No way to discover, let alone change the hard-coded value of MAX_QUEUE_LENGTH which is…you guessed it: 8. Nope, anything more than 8 outstanding requests just get silently ignored and thrown away. I rushed to the author's webpage – no mention WHATSOEVER of any of this in the documentation. Now what goddamn use is that to man or beast?

A caveat before I continue. Those libraries are close to works of art, and I had (note past tense) nothing but admiration and respect for the author (who does a ton of other seriously clever stuff too) and Esparto couldn’t work without them. Thus it not only pains me, but I actually find it quite difficult to come out and say just quite how shitty this “fix” is. I put it down to either a) the author having had a seriously bad night on the beer before “fixing” it or b) handing it off to a far, far, inferior programmer to “do a quick fix”. It is honestly so out of character, I simply don’t understand it. It stands out like a sore thumb compared with the rest of his highly impressive code.

Irrespective, it renders that implementation of aync websockets almost totally useless for any practical purposes. 19 per sec was pretty shabby already: knocking it back to a carved-in-stone silently-discarding 8 is unforgivable. Honestly, if the author had asked me to come up with a fix myself which must be the worst possible solution on every front, I doubt if I could have managed anything so appallingly slack-arsed as what now in there. If I were paying someone as a programmer and they wiped this off their shoe, they’d now be serving coffee at Starbucks. But it doesn’t run out of heap anymore. It is the equivalent of fixing your car’s brake problems by removing the distributor cap.

So...

After the swearing had stopped (I’m lying, I still sometimes swear at the insult of it, and we are two weeks on…). I remembered that Machiavelli said we must live in the world the way it is, not the way it should be: I needed another solution, and fast.

The Solution, Part 1: Out with the old


Websockets are bi-directional and I used them to react to UI events such as clicking a button to reboot, or change tabs etc, so immediately that all had to change. To be honest the JavaScript code was a bit “lace-curtain” so I smiled through gritted teeth as I was forced to tidy it all up and make classic “ajax” calls instead. Of course, I then had to re-jig a lot of the webserver handling. While I’m doing so, I may as well do the JSON part properly…

Everything JSON I looked at was massively top-heavy, so I wrote my own JSON encoder to handle a few specific cases of sending JSON data back to the UI from std::vectors / std::maps which is how a lot of it is internally held.

After the first few days then, with an almost totally new 600-lines of ajax-compatible JavaScript , completely reworked webserver functionality, websockets ripped out root and branch and a custom JSON encoder written…phew…I was ready to stitch in the “push” side of the bidirectionality, the little-known “Server-Sent Events” or SSE. Luckily, it is already included in the ESPAsyncWebServer library. I just prayed some ******* idiot hadn’t “throttled” it to a hardcoded 8-at-a-time like they’d done to the websockets! A brief look at the code showed it appeared thankfully unfettered in that respect. Oh how much too soon I smiled…

First, the elephant in the room. Why had I been working with such an old library? Simply because there is no easy way to find out it had changed. But 9months+??? Don’t shout yet, yes I know a lot of Arduino libraries come up on that bloody annoying “some of your boards…” popup when you start the Arduino IDE…the libs I’m talking about aren’t included. Why not, you will have to ask the author. Technically, I know the reason: their metadata doesn’t match exactly the format that Arduino uses to identify libraries when it trawls github. Exactly why not, you will have to ask the author. Yes, I know that’s the second time I said it. I’m not happy with him right now. And you’re probably only just over halfway through the “fun”. I had consulted the docs dozens of times in that 9 months. Nothing on the site to show a new release available. Docs unchanged, even to the trained eye. Why would I think it needed updating? At best it would have just shifted this problem back 7-8months.

Ironically (remember that far back) when you look at what changed…much of it was obviously as a result of my graph…As the Chinese say: “Be careful what you wish for”.

The Solution, Part 2: In with the new


Very new. I’d never heard of SSE before, so a bit of reading and experimentation was needed. In reasonably short order, I had a prototype working. The basic concept was there, now to the leg-work of replacing all the “push” stuff which was mostly the GPIO pretty flashing lights, but due to heap constraints, several of the “live” tabs have to be “fed” asynchronously and piecemeal too.

Again I’m smiling through gritted teeth because I am forced unwillingly to make my code a lot better and more robust. At last, I am able to implement the “persistence of vision” optimisation that allows me to “throttle” the GPIO light to a rate that is just slightly faster than the human eye can detect…no point throwing 100 events per sec (if the interface can handle it*) at the webUi of you can only spot the difference in 24 “frames” per sec, like a movie. 

Actually it’s 23.80 – doing some simple maths will explain why – all Esparto timing is in milliseconds…and all ESPArto “maths” uses integer arithmetic. Floating point bloats the bin incredibly and it overkill for a couple of small calculations. Giving a “delay” to a timer requires telling it how many milliseconds to wait. For example, 500mS makes it run 2x per second (1000/500). Q: What it is 1000/24 ? A: 41.6666 if using floating-point, which I’m not, so it’s actually 41 from a truncated integer divide. Now 1000/41 = 24.39 per second, slightly more than I need and - if I accept that 23.809523 is close enough – which I do, then the divisor becomes 42. I need say no more. On with the show.

The plan is that when someone is viewing the UI, I will “scan” all GPIOs @ 24ish times per second and send a list of any that have changed to the JavaScript that flips them red/green. Obviously, I don’t want that overhead if no-one is watching so I have to be able to turn on off the “cinema projector” when the theatre is empty, and restart it instantly as soon as another customer arrives.

Also, I wanted – at last – to overcome the cheap’n’cheesy limit that has long existed on only one web viewer. Slight trick with that is that different tabs open for different viewers need different “live view” push data as well as the GPIO/ MQTT status etc that all active viewers need. Similarly any "watching" the same tab e.g. the graphs all need to sse the graphs updte at the same time. Managing that required a fair deal of extra code and rewrite to the webUI. Since I was having to “gut” the whole code body, I thought I may as well take this chance to get it good once and for all. All I finally need then is an easy way to detect incoming and outgoing clients.

Ah.

With a websocket you get “onConnect” and “onDisconnect” events, which make it easy. SSE is one-way only "push" technology. It doesn’t really care or stop working if it is “shouting at an empty room” so while obviously you get a “connect” message; if the client dies or goes away, you never get a "disconnect". In fact, you don't get told at all.

This is a serious pain, but not fatal, on the JS side, the EventSource reconnects automatically after a user-configurable “timeout” and provides the messageID of the last message received, so you can tell the difference between a new client (who needs the whole page) and an existing reconnect who just needs continued live push data to whatever “tab” he’s on. With some hoop-jumping and a home-brewed clientID handshake / special HTTP header in the Ajax request / configurable periodic keep-alive “ping” – I can keep track of who’s connected …and close down the hot-running cine projector when all the clients timeout (strictly, after – on average – 1.5x the “ping” time…but anyway…)

Phew. A lot of rework, and a whole new technology, but a better “product” results.

Until that is, you realise two things:

1: Haunting echoes: “…throwing 100 events per sec (if the interface can handle it*)”. Asterisk = It can’t. To be fair, it can handle a helluva lot more than 8 at a time! Due to the way I now incorporate all changed GPIOs into a single “frame” it copes reasonably well with the chosen 24ish fps. So If I have five or six pins all changing quite rapidly that’s the equivalent of – say – 120 GPIO events / sec, shifting the bottleneck now to the JS in the browser which usually can’t cope that fast…but hey: the eye can’t tell. Also, anything throwing in hundreds per sec is still only going to get sampled @ 24fps so while it may be a way removed from the physical truth, again your eye can’t tell. At least we don’t get sudden huge heap losses. Until…

2: This:



Those downward spikes? The 4kB+ sudden "you-ain’t-go-it-no-more" bites out of the free heap that happen when the client side automatically reconnects. Since there is no “on disconnect” or equivalent, it takes some time of throwing 24fps at the library before it realises the client has gone and breaks the connection. In the meanwhile, it queues up the requests into a rapidly-growing heap-chomping MCU-crashing shitstorm just like... just like those old websockets. Talk about frying pan and fire! 

A week down the line and all I have is the same problem in a whole ton of new untested code – but it’s worse, again there is no way to predict when it will occur. Nor is there any way that the library can / will tell you.

It happens when the underlying network code decides to break the connection, i.e. it’s a) too low down in the “stack” of code for me to even want to go there b) probably beyond my knowledge c) it really is pretty random. Upstairs it dies it every couple of seconds, down here it can go two minutes or more without a blink. Only two things mitigate it: 1) it is usually* less than the chunk the websockets used to grab. 2) The EventSource technology auto-reconnects “for free” – so if you can stay alive through the big chunk – albeit with a dead UI – then it pings back pretty quickly once the connection is remade. It takes 3 -5 seconds for that to happen though so the user experience is really choppy / stuttery / horrible.

*usually. It is usually 4kish but can be up to 10k in a couple of chunks and you can’t prevent it from conflicting with another request e.g. an Alexa command or a 2nd viewer using a REST call…either of which will take it further down the hill to never-land on a one-way journey to the power-recycle switch. Something has to be done.

A quick dive into the code shows that it has no checking, no low/ heap prevention – ironically it is just exactly as bad the old websocket code before the “fix”, but not yet quite as bad as the new. This time, I have to prevent the same (very low) quality of “fix” taking out my final chance if I notify the author and he “fixes” it up the same way.

I need another solution. The only thing that can be detected is a sudden loss of about 4kb heap in a very distinctive pattern. If  only I can spot that from MY side of the fence and then hit the “pause” button on the cine projector until at least most of it has come back up once the auto reconnect is complete…I might be back in business.

You are going to think my solution was a bad choice and now – more than a week later – so do I. At the time it seemed like an easy option(!): I built a” heap heuristics” module deep into the scheduler which did a variety of measurements at very high speed behind the scenes…instantaneous loss between calls, rolling average loss (cyclical buffer over last N <configurable> calls) percentage difference from a) last call b) rolling average…ultimately I ended up with 2nd differential i.e. difference between last two differences to try to narrow down the “acceleration” of the sudden 45 degree downward slope. Hmmm, really?

I spent days trying to work out where best to put the code, as the actual values vary greatly depending on where in the call stack it sits…etc. Should it run on all jobs (with a view to preventing other future problems) or just the GPIO "NetFlix" job? Even if its just on NetFlix, do I need to keep a portion running to keep the overall rolling average accurate...or do I just use the NetFlix rolling average? Is the "granularity" of last 10 measurements enough to "see" the nose-dive in time? Will I need more or will only 5 do it?  And what of the trigger values? Even though they will (of course) be configurable - I know already they wont be the same at the next version! 

The number of concurrent viewers change the trigger values. Bad network connectivity changes them. More pins change them. Every ***ing thing changes them- to the point where I could just about catch the node-dive about ¼ way down the slope, with many false positives but – fatally – the occasional false negative, i.e. a missed - and potentially fatal -“trough”. So even ofr all the configurability and complexity, it still wasn't working.

Despite the odds, I persevered through four or five days getting ever more frustrated and dispirited trying every permutation of placement, parameters, method, technique – each variant requiring major rework…I wsa paraying a certain combination would hit a "sweet spot" where I could "predict" every imminent nosedive. All the time I’m swearing and shouting “why can’t I just see the "$!%!"£$%^ing !"£$%^  message Queue length?????????????” 

Because if I could, I'd be able to see when it starts getting longer than X and immediately "back off" sending! Simples!

Not quite, because there is no way to pause to let it “drain” since the only reason it starts to accelerate in the first place is because the underlying network has already broken the link, so nothing will ever “consume” the queue contents. It took me a few days before that crushing realisation hit me. All I can do is wait until the library spots the network problem and then discards the whole queue in one fell swoop, giving that sharp upward recovery seen on the graph, which takes 3-5 seconds. During whihc time- of course - the UI is "frozen". I'm sent stuttering back to square one.

But wait…when the library does notice the network problem and “chops” the queue…as mentioned earlier, the JS notices pretty quickly and reconnects automatically. If I set that reconnection time very low (1/2 sec say) and find a way to make the lib do that cleanup sooner, by -DING! Spark of genius alert! – simply arbitrarily force-closing the connection, even while it’s still “good”…

It might all be a bit “dirty” crashing and reopening the connection all the time, but it will work. After all, upstairs with the weaker signal it is already naturally doing it a lot anyway. All I’m doing is giving nature a gentle early nudge! All I need is to get the queue length from the lib. Sounds easy.

I had been avoiding relying on someone else’s code and goodwill to accept my “fix” – but it’s the only way. How do I know? Because I put in a quite easy fix requiring only about 2 small changes and a new 6 or 7 line routine called getAvgMQL: “get average Message Queue Length”. A slight wrinkle is that the AsyncEventSource has up to n clients and it is the client that has the message Queue, so I have to average all the clients to get an overall figure. By experimentation, a queue length of 15 seems a good balance between “choppiness” and a harbinger of impending doom. Look at the following screenshot: running constantly for over 7 hrs now with a lot of pin activity and a maximum “reconnect trough” of about 2.5k That is the longest it’s been up for about 10 days.



The vertical bars are added when I do the forced close. As you can see, a couple coincide with what might be the start of a "trough". Some don’t: they are either just natural “busyness” or plain and simple false positives. Since forcing a close has very little overall effect on the smoothness, and is actually now part of the "normal" mechanism, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!"

What I do care is that the behaviour is – at last – predictable and controllable as well as being a reasonably good user experience for quite a heavy load:

Esparto.flashPattern("   ... --- ...",250,LED4);
Esparto.flashPWM(1400,10,LED5);
Esparto.flashLED(500,LED6);

D4 is toggling at a rate of 125mS or 8x per second. D8(LED4) is flashing S-O-S in morse code, i.e. … --- … on a timebase of 250ms i.e. each dot / dash is about 1/2 - 1/4 sec long sec on a continuous loop. D7(LED5) is a 10% duty cycle blip in 1.4sec period and D6 (LED6) is a simple 2x per second “square wave” so when the “peaks” line up, you are getting 12 transitions per sec from 4 different pins and the UI appears pretty responsive. Being honest, it can’t quite “do” the three short Morse blips, but now that it is stable and predictable, I can try upping the frame rate as well as well as tweaking down the Q threshold to get the optimum result.

With hindsight, If I had chosen the ”investigate / reverse engineer / fix / update” someone else’s highly complex library” route first, I’d have saved myself well over a week and a lot of hair.

Lesson 2: Don’t shy away from tough decisions if - in the long run – they are the best.

Lesson 3: Check your library versions regularly even if there is no sign they may have changed!

Lesson 4: Not all “upgrades” are good ones. For example, core 2.5.0 adds over 30k to the bin file for Esparto. Thirty K!!! It wouldn’t be so bad, but Esparto is pretty big already – in core 2.4.2 its about 430k so 2.5.0 puts that up to 450k…kinda right on the limit of what can be OTA’d into a 1MB device with the minimum SPIFFS for the webUI… Worse there is less free heap to start with, and what brought us here? Correct: low heap management - 2.5.0 just makes it worse. Right now , for me 2.5.0 is a huge retrograde step – and if that weren’t bad enough, there’s a real killer:

Esparto will simply not serve up its web page in 2.5.0 – its like it is running in glue / treacle. The exact same line-for-line code that works (now!) perfectly under 2.4.2 cannot get to first base and – for now – I’m all done with fixing other peoples’ bad upgrades. I’ll have to find a way around it a some point.

On the plus side: The web code is much more robust, and more easily expandabel if / when new features come along. The same is true of the core code and a few quite useful new features have been added:

"repeatWhile" function. Repeat function f1 every n mSec while f2 returns true and call f3after f2 returns zero to stop the repeat. This is perfect for “worker” threads “chunking up” a job in the background to conserve heap. F1 repeatedly performs a “chunk”, adjusting a counter / pointer F2 return the counter / pointer while its non-zero (still work to do) f1 keeps repeating and once all the data has been done, f3 can clean up / reset counters for next time etc. All of this is “interleaved” with other tasks, minimising heap loss and streamlining overall throughput.

Its what my "netFlix" function uses, and yes, I did call it that:

	
if(!netFlix){		
    Serial.printf("Start strobing @ %d (=%d.%dfps)\n",CII(ESPARTO_FRAME_RATE),1000/CII(ESPARTO_FRAME_RATE),((1000%CII(ESPARTO_FRAME_RATE)*100)/CII(ESPARTO_FRAME_RATE)));
    netFlix=repeatWhile([](){ return tab::nViewers(); },CII(ESPARTO_FRAME_RATE),
		[](){
		    vector<string> cp;
		    ESPARTO_CFG_MAP cPin;
		    int n=0;
		    for(int i=0;i<ESPARTO_MAX_PIN;i++){
			if(_spPins[i].dirty) cp.push_back(_light(i));					
			_spPins[i].dirty=false;				
		    }
		    if(cp.size()) _spoolBcast(jNamedArray("gpio",cp));
		},
		[](){ netFlix=0;Serial.printf("LAST PICTURE SHOW\n"); }
    ,ESPARTO_SRC_WEB,"flix");
}

While there are any UI viewers, repeat the "send changed pin" @ ESPARTO_FRAME_RATE. Oncce all viewers have gone, reset initial conditions so next viewer restarts.

Very simple but incredibly useful is vBar. It simply draws a vertical bar of a given color (default = red) across all graphs asynchronously, i.e. when you want it to happen, to show when a particular event has occurred, in context. I could not have fixed this problem without it!

Thrown in are web basic auth and the ability to change MQTT parameters through the UI and Amazon Echo v3 compatibility among several others minor changes.

Esparto v3.2 will be (code-wise) very different from v3.1 (almost a re-write!) even though it will look almost 90% the same! It will be out as soon as I’ve had a day off and got some of the new documentation(yuk) fixed up and new example code written.

No comments:

Post a Comment